The timing of your child’s treatment depends on their age, the severity of their orthodontic problem, and how quickly their teeth move. Luckily, at three of our six locations, we offer either orthodontics in-house or through our partners in the office next door. At the others, we can recommend you to our orthodontic partners within the community. Your child may need braces or orthodontic appliances if:
- They have speech problems
- Their teeth protrude
- Their bite is too far over or under their bottom teeth
- They grind or clench their teeth
- They have trouble chewing or biting
- If they had early or late loss of their baby teeth
- They used to suck their thumb or used a pacifier for an extended period of time
- They mouth breathe
- Their jaw clicks, makes sounds when it shifts, protrudes or is recessed
- They have facial imbalance or asymmetry
- They have crowded, misplaced or blocked teeth
Dentists use X-rays and models to gauge tooth movement and determine if braces are needed.
Your dentist will take X-rays of your child’s teeth to check for tooth movement. Depending on what they see, they may recommend braces.
Braces are also recommended when the shape of a tooth is not correct and needs to be corrected with orthodontic treatment. Orthodontics can help straighten crooked or crowded teeth, improve bite problems (such as overbite or underbite), close gaps between front teeth and prevent other facial problems like a receding jaw line from developing later in life.
If you’re worried that your child may need braces, make an appointment with us right away so you can get started as soon as possible!
- It’s better to get braces early, before the teeth are too crowded. This helps us move them when they’re young and still growing. Braces are also more effective on younger patients because their jaws are still developing; later in life it will be harder for us to correct any problems with jaw alignment or bite issues (such as crossbites).
- Early treatment can prevent jaw surgery later in life. If the front teeth are crowded because they lack space, overlapping tooth structures may cause improper growth patterns in children’s mouths if left untreated.
- Adults can get braces! Talk to us about the services and referrals we can offer to help you get the smile of your dreams!
About Pediatric Dental and Orthodontics Associates of Alabama
Pediatric Dental and Orthodontics Associates of Alabama is led by top-rated pediatric dentists with locations in Birmingham, Cullman, Hoover, Medplex, Oxford, and Pell City. When looking for your child’s dentist, know that we aspire to be the premier provider of pediatric dental and orthodontic services in Alabama. We also provide orthodontics in our Hoover, Medplex, and Cullman locations. Be the reason someone smiles today!