You already know regular brushing and flossing are very important when it comes to keeping your child’s teeth healthy. Did you know there are certain vitamins and minerals he or she also needs to consume regularly to maintain a healthy mouth?
Here are our top nine favorite vitamins and minerals for healthy teeth:
- Vitamin A – helps with saliva production, which aids in chewing, swallowing, and helps keep teeth clean.
Best foods for Vitamin A: carrots, sweet potatoes, or fish.
- Vitamin C – promotes strong and healthy gum tissue, which holds teeth firmly in place.
Best foods for Vitamin C: citrus fruits, peppers, sweet potatoes, broccoli, berries, and kale.
- Vitamin D – plays an important role in preventing tooth decay and gum disease. It also helps the body in the absorption of calcium.
Best foods for Vitamin D: dairy products like milk and cheese, eggs, and fish.
- Calcium – builds strong teeth and bones.
Best foods for calcium: dairy products such as cheese, yogurt, and milk; leafy green vegetables and nuts.
- Magnesium – like Vitamin D, magnesium also helps with the absorption of calcium.
Best foods for magnesium: nuts, whole grains, beans, seeds, and dark leafy vegetables.
- Iron – protects against cavities and prevents gum disease and other oral infections.
Best foods for iron: fish, eggs, meat, seafood, leafy greens, berries, beans, and sweet potatoes.
- Fluoride – makes the outside of teeth more resistant to tooth decay.
Best foods for fluoride: water. Most municipal water sources also contain additional fluoride.
- Zinc – contributes to healthy teeth formation and prevents plaque, which can lead to tooth decay.
Best foods for zinc: milk, meat, shellfish, mushrooms, leafy greens, nuts, and seeds.
- Phosphorus – essential in the body’s production of strong bones and teeth.
Best foods for zinc: poultry, pork, seafood, bananas, dairy, whole grains, nuts, and seeds.
Of course, we know how hard it can be to get kids to eat healthy foods. Consider giving your child a multi-vitamin in addition to having them follow a healthy diet. If you are still concerned about whether your child is getting enough of these vitamins and minerals, talk to one of our pediatric dentists at your child’s next appointment.
Pediatric Dental Associates of Alabama is a pediatric dentist practice with offices in Hoover, Birmingham, Cullman, Oxford, and Pell City, Alabama. Our staff is uniquely trained and highly skilled, and we strive to provide unparalleled service to each patient. Our staff consists of team members with specialized training and certifications, and years of experience in treating patients with the highest level of care. We strive to stay abreast of the very latest in technology and advances by regularly attending continuing education courses and seminars.
To experience the difference and “why us,” schedule your appointment with your child’s dental office today!